I began making bow ties for little boys in November. I made them for my sister to sell at her holiday boutique she holds each year as a fundraiser for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. In previous years I had embroidered napkins and tea towels. I made up a pattern and went to town.
I also began an Etsy shop so I could sell them to other people outside of the annual boutique. I called my shop Divine Domestication. I tried to get my husband to wear bow ties. I even made him a Candy Cane Bow tie that matched the boys.
He wore it once.
He "is not into bow ties."
I really wanted to have coordinating ties for my husband and 3 boys that would match. Fortuitously, I was at a "not quite quilting guild" gathering at a fantastic local shop called Home Ec a fabulous little shop downtown. They happened to have a traditional mens tie pattern. I picked it up and thought I would give it a whirl.
The pattern was simple enough and went together very quickly. Unfortunately, I wasn't thrilled with the finished results. The bottom and back just didn't look quite right. The pattern had me sew the lining right face together with the front fabric. I needed to rework it.
I made some adjustments and made my own pattern. I pressed the front and lining separately and used a fusible interfacing to help hold everything in place. I then hand sewed the lining in place and was much happier with the result.
I was much happier with the points and the back. Here's a link to the good tie on Etsy. I decided I liked it well enough to make more too!
Here is one in a turquoise paisley and a turquoise dot print.
My poor husband will never be given a store bought tie again. (Neither will my boys for that matter!)